Friday 15 August 2014

A Cornish Holiday

A Cornish Holiday

Every summer I go to Cornwall with my family for a few weeks as we have a little cottage down there. This year my boyfriend Jack also came to stay with us for a week and we also had a few other family friends over so it was super busy. I has such a great time and for most of the holiday the weather was on our side. I did manage to take a few pictures of some of the things that I got up to when I was in Cornwall so I thought that I would share them with you. 





This is the house that we share with my Mum's side of the family near St Ives. It’s pretty basic and a little in the middle of nowhere but it has a beautiful garden. I’ve been going here every summer for as long as I can remember and I have so many memories here.


Rainy Day In St Ives 



On one of the more rainy days this holiday I took my boyfriend Jack to St Ives and despite the weather we had a lovely day. Because all of my family have been going to Cornwall for as long as they can remember my parents like to think of themselves as "half locals" and they tend to avoid all of the more touristy places like St Ives. But despite how busy it gets in summer St Ives is one of my favourite places to go. I love the beaches and the little independent shops and the smell of all the bakeries and the unlimited supply of ice cream! 






We walked along the little shops and I found a lovely navy jacket from Yumi in the sale. I wish I could show you but I bought it and then my mum took it away so she could give it to me for my birthday! Does anybody else do that, basically buy themselves birthday presents for other people to give to you?! But my birthday is on Sunday so maybe I'll do a "What I got for my birthday" post and show you! After a bit of shopping we hid from the rain in a lovely and very reasonable restaurant where we had the most amazing view of the beach and harbour. I had the most amazing pizza and then for dessert we walked back to a bakery that I had spotted earlier which sold Oreo brownies! 


Sitting on the beach singing Classic!

All the boats in the harbour

After eating way too much Jack and I walked found to one of the other beaches and sat on the sand people-watching and trying to memorise all the lyrics to the song Classic! Then it was a long walk back to the station so we picked up ice cream milkshakes and a pick and mix! I'm just realising how much rubbish we ate that day! Oh well, it summer!


A Day Surfing

 Every year on a day that isn't really warm or sunny we go to a beach quite near us and hire some surf boards. Considering the amount of times that we have done this you might expect me to be kind of okay! Sadly surfing doesn't really come naturally to me as you can probably tell from the pictures! My dad took so many pictures of me surfing and in nearly every single one I am pulling the most disgusted face! I promise I am enjoying myself! I not very daring so I like to stay in the shallower waves and try to stand up. It still doesn't happen very much though!

Action shot! How not to surf! 

Jack looking in awe of my surfing skills! ;)


Private Beach Day!

Just in case you were wondering we don't own a beach in Cornwall! I wish! But like I was saying before we tend to go to places and beaches that aren't very touristy or maybe aren't even known by most people. On this day we went to a little beach we call Zennor. It's so beautiful and nobody else really knows about it so we had the whole beach to ourselves which was so nice. 



The sea was so nice and clear but also so freezing! And on the difficult walk down there is a hidden kayak which only the locals know about so we brought it down to the beach and had a go which was great fun! And this was one of the really hot days that we had so it was just perfect.


Beautiful hidden beaches

This was the beach that we got all to ourselves for today! How beautiful does that sea look?!

My little sister having a go on the kayak


Evening at the Minack Theate

Near Lands End in Cornwall there is the most amazing outdoor theatre which has been carved into the cliffs of the coastline. My parents treated us all to an evening here watching a production called The Producers. We brought our own picnic and cushions and lots and lots of layers for when it got colder later. My mum made such a great picnic with sausage rolls, salad,strawberries and biscuits and she even brought hot chocolate and marshmellows for when it got really freezing! The play was really funny although I probably shouldn't say that because it was a parody of Hitler and the Nazis! Anyway, it was just such an amazing evening in the most beautiful cinema and when it got really really cold I had to cuddle up to Jack in our massive coats!

 Most amazing views
Before the show clutching my cushion when it was warm and sunny

The little stage of the theatre!

Hope you enjoyed reading this rather long post of a few of the things that I got up to in Cornwall. I also wanted to thank all of you that read my blog and were so patient with me while I was without internet for most of the holiday. I'm back home now and loving not having to share a room with my sister who talks in her sleep. Speak soon :) xx


3 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful and I would love to have a house like that! I wish I had enough courage to surf, but I'm terrified of the waves.

    xx, M | Brunette In Black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you :) And I get scared that I'm gonna get pulled under so I stick to the little waves! xx

      Delete
  2. oh wow it looks so lovely there xx

    http://cristynottingham.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete